Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Curtain Call

Last month, when husband saw Dr F in Denver, I remember when he told me, "Soon, he will slip into the unknown."

And, right on cue, husband slipped into the unknown.

This past week, walking has become nil.  With a great deal of pain beginning on Wednesday.  Wednesday night, husband and I pulled an all-nighter.  By morning, I was afraid for husband, so I called 911.

He was admitted and spent the next 3 days under observation.

At least I got answers.

As I was leaving the hospital yesterday, to come home and prepare for his home coming, they told me husband had a slight stroke.  Typical for end-of-life Alzheimer's patients.

Husband is now home.

On Hospice.

He is not aware of anything.  He has to be spoon fed.  He's on comforting medication.

Hospice has provided everything.  When I say everything, I mean right down to wipes.  Everything.

I am glad I made this decision.

Father in law is on his way up from Albuquerque as we speak.  Kids are coming today.  After all, it is Father's Day.

And now, we wait.  For in all probability, the next big stroke that will kill him.

This journey is almost over.  It's been a long one.  He's a fighter, but, this battle he just can't win.

I don't know what my life will be like without him.  I have no answers.

In my post on Facebook, I said, "It's been a great run", and it has.

This "play" is closing.  It's curtain call!!

2 comments:

  1. Tears as I read this new post. Sadness for you; for your family, etc. Prayers for the hours and days ahead. Peace and wholeness for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has brought me to tears, my heart hurts for all of you. I've had y'all in my thoughts and prayers since I started reading your blog and will continue to (even more now). May the good Lord comfort you during this time and give you a peace that only He can. May He wrap His loving arms around your husband.
    In Christ, Kelley

    ReplyDelete