Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Friday, December 6, 2013

"Hey, Joe"

I feel so bad for not posting in over a week.  I've gotten into a slump and come here each day to post, but, then, X out of it.  I have Alzheimer's to thank for that. 

Our Thanksgiving was wonderful.  I finally got the rest of our dinner and told myself to smile, think positive and put on a happy face.  Turns out, Pat & Christine had come up from Albuquerque and had been staying with Justin &M Anne in Parker, CO.  It was a surprise for me and it couldn't have been better.

The food was good, the company even better.  We laughed, told funny stories, shed some tears, Pat got a nice fire going in the fireplace, helped me with husband, watched some football and then we turned on Chopped on the Food Network and watched several episodes of that.  We looked at all the sale papers for black Friday, laughed some more and I took it all in, loving every minute of it.

They all came back on Saturday and we went up to Manitou Springs for dinner.  Walking the streets was magical.  Christmas lights were on, it was bitter cold, but, I didn't care.  They all took turns pushing husband in his wheelchair.  We would stop and look at shops, then, on to eat dinner.

I was so sad to say goodbye.  But, oh, what a wonderful few days it was.

I had to go to the store Wednesday, late in the afternoon.  We had a big snowstorm, and it was 3 degrees outside.  Walking up to the entrance, I saw the Christmas trees, with the smell overwhelming me.  There was a young guy tending to the trees, so, I walked up and asked how much they were.  He showed me the prices and before I knew it, I had bough a real Christmas tree!  He put it on top of my car, tied it to the rack, then asked me if my husband could bring it in from the car.  That took me by surprise, but, after fumbling around for words, I smiled and said, "of course."  He smiled and said, "Oh good, because, this tree is heavy and I know you couldn't get it off your car."

Once I got home, I looked at the tree and thought, "Well, you got yourself into a pickle now."  Went and got my kitchen scissors, back out to the car, stood there for a minute and busted out laughing.  There was no way I was going to get this Christmas tree off of my car.

Just then, two of the maintenance workers came by in one f the golf carts they use here.  I hollered out, "Hey Joe."  He stopped, I motioned for him toward me.  He stopped, turned around and came up to the car.  He looked at me, than at this big Christmas tree tied to my car.  He said, "What did you do now, Sue?"  I was laughing and said, "On a whim, I bought this tree and now I don't know how to get it off my car."

Thanks to Joe and Jeff, it is now sitting on my patio, in the freezing cold, waiting to be brought in.  Tish brought some decorations for the tree yesterday.  I had nothing.  She said they would be back tomorrow so Jace could put in on a stand and bring it in the apartment. 

As far as husband is concerned, well,  what can I say?  He is fading from me.  He is in his own world most of the time, but,  just to make life interesting, just when I think he's gone for good, he will surprise me with, "remember when.....?"

Looking at the tree on the patio yesterday, he said, clear as a bell, "The tree is pretty.  Glad you bought it.  I won't be here next year, so, remember how pretty this tree was next year, OK?"

Just what am I supposed to do with that piece of information, I thought,  So, I smiled and said, "I will, honey."

So, tomorrow night, when the tree is brought in and decorated to the hilt, I will turn on the lights and relish in this special Christmas tree.  I will savor every moment, file in my brain every detail of this tree.  I will post a picture of this special tree for all to see. 

I believe this tree called out to me.  And, on a whim, I bought it.  And, brought it home for husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment