Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, October 7, 2013

It's the little, funny things

It has been awhile.  So sorry.  I have had a lot of trouble getting a new charger for my laptop.  I now have been told that I have to order it from HP.  Easier said than done when you can't even use your laptop.  I am using the computer here at my apartment office.  They have a media center and we are free to use the computers anytime we want.  I need to order the charger.

Now, on to husband's Dr visit, two weeks ago!!

I must say, it was an experience.  We were in the exam room for 4 1/2 hours.  We had 3 different Dr's come in and examine husband.  They told me that since Dr A had sent husband's history in June, they have been anxious to see him.

During the exams, each Dr would tell me what they had found.  Each time was more grim than before.

To recap, husband is officially in the final stages.  Dr H explained what his brain is doing now.  He compared it to an embryo.  He said an embryo has a primitive brain, a brain that cannot think, remember, see or recognize anything.  In an Alzheimer patient, the brain becomes embryo-like, thus, the lack of ability to
perform even the simplicity of tasks.

Dr H also asked me if I had noticed a change in his facial features.  I told him as a matter of fact ,  yes I had. He went on to explain that husband's brain is like an embryo, and if I had ever seen an ultrasound and how the unborn baby had an elongated face?  Yes, I have seen an ultrasound and yes, a baby in the womb does in fact have that elongated face.  Now, he goes on to say that husband has entered the danger stage.  With the elongated face, his swallowing reflexes are now involved and this is where choking to death is at the highest.  He asked me if husband chokes or coughs a lot.  I told him yes, mostly at night.  I told him I elevate his hospital bed at night, but it doesn't help much.  Dr H nodded and said, "Well, you can do that, but, unfortunately, it won't help."

All 3 Dr's could not give me a timeline.  They said that with the rarity of husband's disease, they really have nothing to go on, but what they have read or heard from another colleague.  One Dr, Dr F, looked at me and said, "6 months?  A year?  I don't think a year, but, let's put that as a goal, shall we?"

All in all, with even the grim news, I got so much out of it.  I left feeling loaded with knowledge and feeling that these Dr's really, really, cared about husband and myself.

Since this Dr visit, husband has taken a downward spiral.  We've had seizures, falling episodes and just plain misery.

With all this heartache, I always want to find something, anything, to laugh about.  Well, Friday night, husband was a handful.  I'd pull his covers back for him to get in bed, he'd get in, and as soon a I left the room, he'd get back up and start digging in the closet.  After about 2 hours of this, he finally fell asleep, poor guy was exhausted.

Husband always falls asleep with his glasses on.  When I got to him to take his glasses off, I notice his glasses are on upside down.  Oh, what a sight!!  I sat on my bed and literally cracked up.  Oh, it was so sad, pitiful in fact, but, so so funny.

Imagine, it's about 11:30, with husband sound asleep, glasses on upside down, and me, sitting on the side of the bed, laughing so hard tears are running down my face.

Yes, it's those little funny things that keep me going.

Thank you, God, for giving me a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment