Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, October 20, 2013

The face of alzheimer's

Ha, I think I finally mastered posting pictures.  I took this one of husband.  He has had an OK morning.  Of course, he doesn't look normal, but, just OK.  It's his eyes that get me every time. 

IMAG0004.jpg  This is the face of Alzheimer's.

That vacant, hollow stare.  This is what he looks like today.  His face has become elongated.  I often look at him and wonder what he is thinking, if he thinks at all.

A dear friend sent me a picture of husband in 1994.  It was just after Jack was born and we were at their house for their little girls' 2nd birthday party.  Now, that little girl is in her 2nd year of college and my Jack is in Germany.  So much has changed since that picture was taken. 

I just tried to post the picture and distorted it.  Oh well, I'll try again, maybe tomorrow.

Husband has not had a few good days.  Shocker.  He has been difficult lately.  I think that's the hardest part.  I will pick out his clothes to wear and he will insist on wearing Levi's.  Ever try dressing a grown man, with stiff legs and arms?  Yeah.  Also, with his Levi's comes a belt.  Then, when he has to go to the bathroom, he doesn't remember how to unbuckle his belt, let alone undoing the snap on his pants and disaster.  I then have to change his pants and diaper.  It's a mess.

I put my foot down and told him I am going to get him pull up pants, making it easier for him and me.  Not to mention the laundry!  At first, he hesitated, so, I said, "I'm not asking permission, this is the way it's going to be".  End of subject!

He has been sleeping a lot.  Hallucinations continue.  Throughout the day.  They come and go.  I have learned to ride with it.  One minute, he's here, the next, he's talking to someone I can't see.  It's absolutely mind blowing.

Settling in for the winter.  Gearing up for the Holidays.  After the Holidays, well, then I will start the countdown to the end. 

It will be Spring then.  Re-birth.




No comments:

Post a Comment