Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Decisions

It's early morning, Jack has left for school, the dog is right at my feet, Leon is still asleep. He does that alot lately. This is the same man who, for 20 years was up by 4 AM, getting ready for work. This same man who worked hard up to 12 hours per day. He was a devoted employee, the first one to arrive, in fact, they would tease him about always being the first one on the job every single day. He was always favored by his employers and had a good reputation here in Aluquerque as the best concrete driller and cutter. When jobs came up, they always requested Leon. He was big and strong, going the extra mile when on job sites, putting his name and strength out there. They all knew him and loved him.

That's all gone now. He is now thin, his legs are failing him, he trips over his own feet, cannot walk unassisted, has a vacant look in the eyes that were once so full of life and now, can't even use a pen to write. Last week, I switched Insurance Companies for our car. I filled out the paperwork but forgot to write in Leon's Social Security #. The man there who did not know Leon, asked him to write his SS#. He tried, really tried then looked at me and said, "I can't do this, I don't remember what my number is anymore and I can't hold this pen". The poor guy at the counter. He looked at me as I finished putting in his SS# number and looked a little embarrassed. I just nodded my head and said, "It's ok".

Gone. All gone.

Jack was putting together a night stand for me and as I was thanking him he said, "That's ok, mom, dad's gonna die soon so I have to take over, right?". Even he knows. And he is such a good boy, so grown up. He has an interview at Dion's Pizza tomorrow and has full confidence that he'll get the job.

Our Neurologist called the other day to make an appointment for Leon's 6 month check. As I was scheduling it, the girl said, "Mrs Lucero, this will be his last appointment". And I knew what she meant. There is nothing more they can do. This disease is destroying his brain and is moving fast now. It's just a matter of time.

Oh, his appointment? She scheduled it for March 28th. Our wedding anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment