Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our "Visitor" will not leave

With Dementia patients, they go in and out of reality, until the monster completely destroys the brain. Leon's Dementia comes and goes. As I've said in previous posts, I call it our "Honeymoon" period. He will be "with it" for several days in a row, then, bam, off to another world.

We had a good period for about 1 1/2 weeks about 3 weeks ago. When the "Honeymoon" ended, he was worse than ever before. It has been 3 weeks with no sign of him coming out of it. This is the longest he has ever been this bad.

Is it the beginning of the end? I have noticed the past several days that when he is asleep, he "talks" alot more than usual. He can talk so loud that it sometimes wakes him up.

His walking, or, his attempt at walking is more unsteady. Hard watching him try to walk. Will not use the walker. Says his cane helps, but yet, he uses the cane and grabs onto walls and furniture to help him walk.

I have to get groceries today. He loves to go with me. I absolutely hate taking him with me, but if I don't, he will not behave the rest of the day. When he wants something and I tell him we cannot afford it, he will have a fit right there in the store. That's fun.

So, I think our "visitor" has come to stay this time. It's been too long. I have a feeling of dread inside me. But, who am I kidding? I knew this was going to happen, that one day he would not come back.

Everytime we hit a new stage in this disease, I am caught off guard. I know what to expect, did my research, have it all down. But, when it actually happens, it can really throw me off. Kind of like riding a roller coaster; you know the big drop is coming, but when it actually comes, it still takes your breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment