Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Warning: Long Post

A friendly wave or a nod as we take our trash out to the curb on Friday morning is about all anyone does on our street. We are all friendly, just never really stop to talk. Once in a while, our neighbor to the right of us does stop to chat, he's very friendly, a widower for many years, retired from the Post Office.

Our neighbors' to the left, well, we have never spoken to them. I hear them all summer as they have a pool and, on weekends, I hear the laughing, splashing and smell their BBQs.

On Saturday, I noticed they were having a garage sale. Leon went over, came back and told me they had some nice stuff. So, me, being the bargain hunter that I am, went over. I can honestly say that, they are the nicest people. I told Karen that I hear them splashing all summer long in their pool. She told me I was welcome to swim anytime I wanted. As we sat down to bargain for a very old German made grandfather clock, 61 years old, we got to talking. She told me her Father passed a year ago and her Mother had moved into a smaller place, so she was getting rid of the clock. Too many memories. She then told me that her Mother is taking care of her Grandmother who has Dementia. She said that it is one of the hardest things her Mother has ever done. She said that to care for Dementia patients is one of the toughest jobs, especially if it is your Mother. "Or husband", I said. She then stopped talking, looked at me and said, "Oh my gosh, your husband?" I nodded. "Oh, I am so sorry. I knew something was wrong with him, oh, I just realized it. It's the eyes, they're so,,,,,,blank". After many "I'm so sorries", we struck a deal with the clock. Need to get it oiled, but it sure is beautiful, and I paid next to nothing for it. Maybe she felt sorry for me.

Jack has been pretty sick for a few days. Took him to the Dr yesterday. He has Strep Throat. As she was writing his Rx, she said, "Mom, do you need a note for work?" I said no, I don't work anymore. She said, "Must be nice to be able to be home." And then I said, "My husband is terminally ill, so I had no choice." Oh, the look on her face said it all. She felt horrible, but I said, "it's OK, happens all the time."

I hate having to explain why I'm no longer working. I wish I could say the reason is my husband earns enough money. Or, I am wealthy.

Went to Leon's Mother's grave on Sunday, for Mother's Day. I bought flowers for her. Leon will be right next to her. As we were leaving, he looked back and said, "See you soon."

Did you really have to say that? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment