Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Circle of Life

Tyler & Susie's wedding was nice. It was in the downtown courthouse in one of the courtrooms. It was in the new Metro Courthouse. Well, new in I've never been in that big one before.

Susie looked so beautiful, she was glowing. Tyler looked so handsome in his suit. He's never owned a suit before. I love Susie's family. Her mother and I have always gotten along. She's outgoing like I used to be. Her two little sisters are the sweetest. After the ceremony both of them came up to me and said, "We're related now". She has a little brother who suffers from a mild form of Autism and another disease I cannot spell. It's the one where they get upset around other people. If I tried to spell it ya'll would laugh, so, use your imagination.

We then went to Los Quates for the celebratory late lunch/early dinner. I found myself laughing, relaxing. I almost felt like the old me again. Husband seemed happy too. I leaned over to him at one time and said, "Do you remember this place?" He smiled and said, "I do".

Husband and I, in our dating years, used to go there alot. That was a long time ago, and, they have changed somewhat, but, sitting there yesterday took me back.

As we were given our menus, husband seemed to struggle a bit. I know he couldn't actually read the menu, but sure gave it a good shot. Kristen saw him struggling when I was talking to someone. She leaned across the table and told him what it said. When it came time to order, he proudly showed the waiter what he wanted. He kept his finger on the spot where Kristen had pointed to. His finger seemed glued to that spot. I glanced at him, he looked at me and we both just smiled. It seemed to me he was relieved to have gotten that out of the way.

It was such a great day though. Dan, his best friend from high school was there. I had not seen him in a long time. He came up to me, gave me a big bear hug and said he had heard about husband and was so sorry. We were together as a family. I laughed. Husband laughed. We cried, happy cries. We joked. We remembered. We expanded our family.

And, just for a few hours, we got to forget about our reality. We got to forget about Frontal Lobe Dementia. We got to forget about this horrific disease that consumes us.

Instead, we got to celebrate the union of Tyler & Susie. A fresh new beginning. A new life. Children for them. My throat tightened as I sat back, taking in all of this, remembering when Tyler was born, his growing up years. He's a man now, with a wife. He will be a father one day.

Life will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment