Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Connecting with God

I don't know what is up with me these past few days.  I have been waking up at 4:30 am and cannot fall back asleep.  I have slept good through the night, but at 4:30 in the morning, bam, my body wants to get up. So, here I am.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had gone to the laundromat.  It was OK, just didn't like hauling all the clothes in and out of the laundromat. Not to mention the expense.  Here, there are 6 laundry facilities, but, you have to purchase a laundry card to insert into the washer and dryer.  It's easy.  Go to office, purchase card, load it up with money and you're set.  When balance is low, go back to office and load it up again.

I purchased said card yesterday afternoon.  I also did two loads of clothes.  The washers and dryers work beautifully.  The facility is clean.  I'm not too far from one of the laundry rooms.  As I put the clean clothes away, I thought to myself that that wasn't so bad.  Going to finish up this afternoon and my laundry will be done for the week.  Another adjustment to apartment living, but, it's OK.

Husband is the same.  This morning is bath day.  I bought him 2 pairs of sweats yesterday.  They are easier for me to dress him with, plus they keep him warm.  They are also very comfortable.

I had been given some adult diapers over a year ago.  I had tucked them in the closet to save for the day he would need them.  Of course, we all knew that that day came last week.  They are nice, however, they are a smaller size than what he needs.  We used them because that's all I had.  I got him some Depends yesterday, and what a great fit.  They were a little expensive, $10.96 for a package of 20.  We'll see how they work.  If I can find cheaper that still keeps him dry, I may have to buy those.  A friend said Walgreens carries their store brand for a dollar cheaper and are comparable to Depends.

Tyler came over yesterday.  Of course, husband was sleeping, so I was able to warn him of what he was to see.  His face fell as I woke husband up and he saw the damage right away.  As I helped husband up and into the living room, I heard Tyler say under his breath, "Oh man."  He looked at husband and said softly, "Hey, bud."  Husband enjoyed the visit.  Oh, how he loves the kids.

As I was coming in the apt with the last load of laundry last night, my neighbor, Michele was leaving.  She is nice.  She asked me how we were doing, especially husband.  Because husband doesn't go out anymore, my neighbors thought I lived alone.  So, I had to explain that husband is very ill, terminal, in fact.  They have all been so understanding and compassionate.

We sat on the porch and talked for about 20 minutes.  She said something to me that made me stop and wonder.  As she was leaving, she said, "You know, Sue, if you had not told me about your husband, I never would've guessed you are living a nightmare.  You are always smiling, glowing, in fact.  You must have a special connection to God."

Yeah, I like to think so too, Michele.  Gee, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment