Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Friday, January 18, 2013

Downsizing and quarters for the laundromat!!

Thank you for your comment.  Yes, there are support groups out there, and I do plan on looking into it, however, this week was not the week to do so.  Once we are settled, or, rather, husband gets more familiar with his surroundings, that is my plan.

I also need to contact Dr A's nurse to set us up for home visits.  If not for husband, for me.  To get out, run errands, or, just go somewhere and play pretend I have a normal life again.

Some of you asked me how the heck did I downsize so much.  Well, it wasn't easy.  I just went through everything, asking myself how much do I use this or that, and decided I didn't need it after all.  Some of the things I donated were hard to part with, but, my mind was set on survival, so it made sense to get rid of.  A lot of stuff I gave to Marie.  Like, towels.  I never realized how many towels I had.  I gave all to Marie, saving 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and 4 wash cloths.  Sheets were another thing.  I had sheets from Jack & Kristen's beds.  All given to Marie.  Dishes, all given to Marie.  I kept most of my pans, only giving the big ones to Marie.  It was just a matter of taking stock of what I had and what could go.

Another strange day yesterday.  We are still obsessed with sheets and comforters.  I am trying to find something amusing about all of this.  Haven't found it yet, but, it's not bothering me as much as it did a few days ago.

I was watching TV last night and looked down the hallway, into the bedroom.  Husband was standing, holding on to the closet doors and turning around and around in circles.  I asked him if he was OK, he stopped, mumbled something and sat back down on the bed.  That was bothersome to me.

I had to transfer husband's meds to the pharmacy in our new area.  The pharmacy is a big chain, located throughout the city.  The old pharmacy was great, and this one is just as great.  As I picked up his anti-seizure yesterday, I thanked them for being so prompt.  The pharmacist came out to meet me and asked why Dr A had prescribed such a high dose for someone who is only 47.  I explained what he suffers from.  The cashier and pharmacist were stunned.  Said they had never come across someone so young being affected by Alzheimer's.

Today, for the first time in years, I am going to the laundromat.  Actually, I am looking forward to going.  I know, sounds strange.  But, because my world is so limited now, the thought of going to the laundromat is exciting.  Something new.  Another adventure.

You'd be surprised at how one can adapt.  Here I am, with a dying husband and I'm excited to go to the laundromat?

Oy.


No comments:

Post a Comment