Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dr update

Dr appt went well.  Husband was nervous all the way there.  Kept repeating the date over and over.

After examining husband, Dr told me that he was not going to prescribe an anti-psychotic drug at this time.  He said that it looked like this was an isolated incident, that removing the mirrors made him more comfortable, so we will leave that alone for now.  He did, however, up one med that I usually give him only in the morning.  I now have to give him another after dinner.

Dr A said he will see him in 4 months but to call if we have more delusional episodes.  He said it will probably happen again, as the brain dies off.  He told me that, yes, husband has rapidly declined since we saw him in December, but, it is the nature of the beast.  Where most people suffering from Alzheimer's decline at a slower moving pace, husband's form of Alzheimer's is more rapid, a rare form affecting those at a much younger age.  

I felt better once we left.  I trust this Dr.  He knows his Alzheimer's.  For this Dr to call me personally on more than one occasion, well, you get the picture.  He said that as much as he has dealt with Alzheimer's patients, he has never treated one as young as husband.  Read about it, learned about, but until husband, it was only in textbook.

Husband was in better spirits on the way home.  He ate a good dinner, I got him undressed for bed and under the covers.  I knew once I gave him another dose of one of his meds, that it would make him fall asleep.  I didn't want to have to wake him up, change his diaper, undress him then get him under the covers, why, it would be too much.  Of course, it knocked him out, making my evening peaceful.  Around 9, I had to give him his other med.  I woke him up, sat him up and gave him the other med.  He was out of it, being woke up and told to take another pill.  It took some coaching, but he did.  He was agitated that I had woke him up.

Glad I had prepared for the 9:00 PM med, as I could not imagine changing his diaper, changing his clothes and getting him into bed at that time, after taking the upped dose after dinner.  One, Yay for me.

I want to have a quiet day today.  I am not feeling well. Drained, in fact.  I slept good last night, but, woke up tired.  My emotions have been all over the place these last few days.

So, for now, I will do what Dr A said to do.  Watch for anymore delusional behavior, which he said will happen, we just don't know when.  Make husband as comfortable as possible.  Keep home life calm.

Last night, as I sat here, alone, watching TV,  I began to have selfish thoughts.  I said out loud, to no one, it's not fair I have to go through this.  I'm not a Dr, a nurse or trained in Alzheimer's.  It's just not fair.  Why me? Woe is me.

So, I had my pity party last night.  Today I will put on my doctor suit, talk like a soothing nurse and act like I wrote the book on Alzheimer's.

Oh, silly me!!



No comments:

Post a Comment