Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Happy Anniversary!

On this date many years ago, I said "I do".  If you're anything like me, I did not pay attention to the vows.  I was just goo goo over my husband.  I was taking his name, we were an official couple.  It was so blissful.  Happy, happy.

Fast forward to today.  My handsome husband has become like a child.  He cannot walk, talk right or remember much.  I bathe, shave and dress him now.  He wears diapers.  His eating has become sloppy, making a mess with each meal.  He has tantrums.  He gets angry when he doesn't get his way.

He's dying.

Lately, as our wedding date approached, I started thinking about the vow, " In sickness and in health."   I recall that vow, never thinking for one moment that it would come to this.  Who does?

Then, there's this vow:  "Til death do you part".  Who would've thought?

Today, as I bathe him, dress him and feed him breakfast, I will think back to that day, many years ago.  I will look into those eyes that were full of life once, kiss him good morning and say:

Happy Anniversary!

1 comment:

  1. Bless you, Sue. Powerful post. Your reward in heaven will be great. You are overcoming adversity in a way most will never understand. Thank you for sharing your heart with us!

    ReplyDelete