Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, May 27, 2013

BBQ time

The kids have decided to BBQ at our apartment today.  Our grounds are so nice, with grass, trees, the duck pond with the water fountain and BBQ pits throughout the complex.  I am looking forward to it.  Been awhile since we have all gotten together.  Too bad the pool isn't open, or the hot tub.

Had some interesting moments with husband yesterday.  I was tired, so, I made him lie down so I could take a nap.  Just as I was dozing off, he suddenly sat up and yelled my name out.  Then, he proceeded to tell me that it was unfair that "they" were making him buy tires when he wasn't allowed to drive.  Why should he have to go measure the tires, it wasn't fair, he kept saying. 

Keeping my cool, as he was pretty upset, I gently told him that we were home, he was having a bad dream.  When he hallucinates, I always tell him it was a bad dream.  Most of the time, during the hallucinations, it will calm him down if he is angry. 

It took me awhile, about 1 1/2 hours, but, he finally came out of it.

The rest of the day was on and off.

Around 7 PM, he wanted to fill his water bottles.  I have two water bottles for him.  They are the Brita bottles, with the filter inside.  He filled them, put them on his night stand and kept staring at them.  Picked them back up and emptied the water out, only to fill them up again.  What a mess he made in the bathroom!  I told him that was enough, no more.  He said I was being mean to him.

Around 1:45 AM, I woke up, jarred out of a deep sleep.  There was husband, pulling the sheets and comforter off of the bed.  He gave me no reason why he was doing that.  In husband's case, there is no rhyme or reason for his actions.

Remember yesterday's post when I said we go from 0 to 60 in 2.2 seconds?  Yeah, like that.

I got him settled back into bed where he kept arguing with me that I was making him go to bed when he was right in the middle of eating.  I told him it was the middle of the night, he was not eating, now, it was time for sleeping.  Once I got him covered up, (re-making the bed. Snarl),  he said, "OK, if I go to sleep, can I go home, please?"   Again, I assured him he was home.  He was having none of that.

By 2:30 AM, he was sound asleep and there I was, wide awake.  No wonder I have dark circles under my eyes.  Ugh.

Yes, I am looking forward to our BBQ today.  I'll get to hang with my kids, they will take turns with husband, helping him, maybe even taking him for rides around the complex.  They are so patient and kind when it comes to daddy. 

And me?  I'll sit back and watch them interact with daddy.  I'll take a picture of it in my mind and save it for when he is gone.  All the smiling faces of my kids.  So happy to be with him. 

Yes, it's going to be a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sunney Sue,

    I hope the BBQ was a great time for you yesterday! Around here it's cold and rainy - not picnic type of weather at all!

    So, what I did yesterday was read your posts from the beginning in 2011. Yes, I do think you have the makings of a book - kinda like Matt Logelin (have you ever heard of him?) or Single Infertile Female. They've both taken their life experiences and are now published authors. Your story is an awesome testament to your faith.

    Aside from the book, I do think you provide a great resource for those who are going through a similar experience! I noted yesterday how completely relieved and comforted you felt when you connected with the Alzheimer's group (before you moved). There is nothing like the support of those who have been through it.

    And, the other things that stood out to me are the fact that you haven't had a decent/peaceful night's sleep since 2011. Also, your ability to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and conquer a new day is always remarkable to me!

    So, I do sincerely hope your time yesterday soothed your soul for a bit. I do believe that God looks down on you and names you His good and faithful servant. And, I believe He is holding you up through it all.