Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Progression?

Last week, Leon got pretty sick. It was a virus going around, so the Dr prescribed some heavy duty cough syrup. We have to be careful in giving him meds because of the anti-seizure med he is on. The cough was my concern. So far, he has used up that syrup and so the Dr said to get him some Robitussin DM. Got that yesterday and after 3 doses, the cough is still there. This cough is almost constant and is wracking his body. He has to sit up alot because this cough comes on like a Tsunami.

Then, I got to thinking: this cough has been here for awhile now. Is it the progression of the disease? Is there something else wrong? As if we need that. Are his reflexes shutting down in the chest area now? I'm concerned and confused. I don't know if I should call the Neurologist or just wait for our appointment in May. Or, maybe I should just do my own research on the Internet, like I did last year and found his diagnosis in cyberspace. (I had narrowed it down to Lewey Body Dementia or Familial Frontal Lobe Dementia, and in fact, I was right on with that). It's hard when your loved one has a terminal illness, because sometimes when you tell them of some scary symptoms, they put their hand on your shoulder and say, "it's all part of this disease". No magic pill to take here folks. Can't go to Whole Foods and get some sort of Herb or Vitamin that will make it go away. So, I'm kind of up in the air. Suppose they give me an emergency appointment only to tell me it's just the progression of this horrific disease. I keep thinking back to when we saw our Primary Dr last week and he said, "if he gets worse, or, cannot breathe, take him immediately to the Emergency Room". I love our Primary Dr, but he is not an expert in all of this, so, naturally, he would say that. He doesn't know.

So, today, I am going to track his coughing and do some research of my own.

I took him with me to Costco yesterday, to get him out of the house, fresh air. He has to push the cart, he needs something to hold on to. I did notice that his legs are getting very stiff. Now, I am not a shopper, get in, get out is my motto. Leon walked so slow I started getting impatient. I tried not to let him see it on my face, but, it was hard. We have a walker for him, but, he refuses to use it. The day is coming when I will have to get a wheel chair for him, and just know the fight I'll have there. He fights me every step of the way. Imagine someone you love has a broken leg, cannot walk, but will not accept a cast or crutches. And I get angry with him about that. He doesn't see it, but I get angry. He fought me on using a cane, but now realizes he depends on it. Now if only I can convince him of using the walker.

So, today I am going to be a detective, tracking his every move, doing my research on the Internet about what this coughing is all about. Who knows what I'll find, after all, I found him this lovely disease which was confirmed by a Neurologist. Or, maybe I should stay off the Internet and let this disease "do it's thing".

No comments:

Post a Comment