Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Maybe?

I had an experience Friday. Kristen's best friend, Summer, had told me she wanted me to be her birth coach. Friday morning at 6:45, we got the call. Off we went.

I gave her pointers, massaged her feet, legs, back and forehead. I put her in the tub, poured warm water all over her, talked to her, soothed her, told her how great she was doing. She had one child before, a girl, but chickened out at the last minute and got an epidural. This one, all she did was stare into my eyes as each contraction hit. She did everything I told her. I was so proud of her. She did it, au natural.

At 1:48 that afternoon, Jordan Joseph entered the world. What a sight, as he came out. He is beautiful, as expected. After all, her little girl is breathtaking beautiful. Jordan is no different.

When Tish had Leia, the nurses told me I should look into becoming a Doula. When Alex was born, they told me the same thing. On Friday, the staff at Presbyterian recommended I look into it. I told them I think I'm too old. Nonsense they said.

This morning, I am seriously thinking of doing something like this. The joy I felt when I had my kids, well, maybe I can share with other women. There is no other joy like that of giving birth. None.

Life after husband passes will be changed, forever. But, maybe I can change too. Maybe, just maybe, I can change too, like help a woman bring a child into the world with happiness, not just pain. Maybe God is leading me to this. All I know, today, is, I am going to look into it. Let's just hope it doesn't cost money. I don't have money to do that. Maybe I can make a difference in a womens' birth story.

As we were leaving the hospital Friday, Summers' mom gave me a big hug, cried and said, "Oh Sue, we couldn't have done this without you. Thank you, thank you".

So, welcome to the world, Jordan Joseph, and, maybe, just maybe, I have found my calling. I've always been a late bloomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment