Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stairway to Heaven

Yesterday was very calm in my house. Busy with house cleaning. Went to early service at church, then on to our new members class. There was a large group there. We sat at one round table and gradually, the tables filled up.

We had to fill in the blanks on one work sheet, so I had to do double duty for husband and I. Good thing I can write fast. I was sitting next to a couple who were originally from Canada. Elderly couple. They were so nice, kind of like a Mom & Pop. As I was writing in both our work books, she leaned over and said, "I notice you are writing for the both of you. Did your husband have a stroke"? "No, he has Dementia, he can't write anymore, so I have to do for both of us". She gave me a simple smile, nodded her head and said, "I'm so sorry, I knew there was something wrong with him, but, I thought it was a stroke". She was so loving, so kind in her words. I felt comfortable around her.

A stroke? I wish he did have a stroke, because then, there would be hope of recovery. He would have physical therapy, speech therapy. May not come back 100%, but, he'd live.

God is so powerful though. There are days when husband remembers what Pastor said the week before. He remembers parts of a sermon. Where he can't remember even the simpliest of things, like, his own son, God can reach him. That is neat.

I know when husband passes where he is going. And to that, I'm OK with. Yes, I will miss him, I will ache for him, I will feel his loss everyday, I will mourn for him, I will be sad that Jack does not have a living dad. But, it will be OK. He will be with God. That's all that matters.

Husband seems much more calm these days. He had some of his "visitors" the other night. Husband has conversations with these "visitors". When the "visitors" come, husband speaks clearly, making sense. His voice is so soft. Who are these "visitors?" I don't know, but, I'd like to think God is sending his "helpers", easing and making husbands' path to Heaven clear.

And that, my dear friends, is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment