Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Thursday, September 15, 2011

A visit from Hospice

Hospice came yesterday. So glad I called. The nurse was one of the nicest people I've met. After talking and observing husband, she told me he was "not there yet", but the time is coming. She said I did the right thing by calling, get an opinion, see where we are at, and, most important, he is now registered with Hospice, so, when the time comes, they will help me along with the final stages.

She explained to me about his memory loss. She described it as layers in the brain, and with his type of Dementia, rare, that is being shredded. I told her he remembers things from childhood, but, cannot remember from hour to hour even the little things. Because the most recent events are the outer layers, these are the layers or memories that are being affected. So, he suffers from short term memory for now. She said eventually, as this disease progresses, all the layers will be destroyed. She also said that once the outer layers are destroyed, it is only a matter of time before the inner layers die.

So informative. She will visit once a month to see where we are. She told me that I need to make an appointment with Physical Therapy where they will observe his inability to walk unassisted, recommend what kind of assistance to use, cane versus walker. Did not know that there were several types of canes. She believes he needs the four pronged cane, as it helps with balance too.

I am also to make an appointment with a Case Manager at the hospital to see what other services are available to me.

I felt better after her visit. We have some answers, for now, we have other resources, for now. She was everything I asked for and then some.

Husband has seemed upbeat lately. It could be the Mood Stabilizer. I don't care, I'll take it any way I can get it. Of course, the memory is poor and his "walking" is really bad, but, he is smiling again.

I also have to buy him a new pair of shoes. Good ones, for support. I don't have any extra money for those right now, am hoping for a sale somewhere.

This is where we are now. In between needing Hospice, but having support from Hospice. Husband seems happy, for now. Funny how people take even the smallest of things for granted. What may seem small to some, it's big for me. And I'm OK with it, for now.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I was just blog surfing and looking up other "housewives." I loved reading your blog posts. My MIL has been taking care of my FIL through an illness since June and your words touched my heart. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete