Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Friday, March 16, 2012

The "Old Gang"

Got a call from a very old and dear friend, inviting us to her house for dinner Saturday night, St Patrick's Day. Several of our old friends will be there. None of them has seen husband in as many years. I told husband about it, he said he wanted to go. Of course I said we'd go. Was thoughtful of Jane to include us. She said it would be good for husband to see the "old gang". I am looking forward to going.

Later in the evening last night, husband asked me who would be there. I told him. He looked straight at me and said, "I don't remember these people. Who are they again?" Ugh.

Because Jace had to work and Leia had school, Tish came earlier this week. Jace & Leia got here last night. They own several acres up in Ramah, southwest of here. Jace wants to go check on the property Sunday. They invited husband to go with them. Husband loves it up there. It is beautiful. I asked him if he would like to go. Of course he said yes. I told him several times that they were going on Sunday. Later last night, he started to panic. I asked him what was wrong, he said he forgot what time they were leaving in the morning. I asked him where? Go where? He had a hard time talking, mumbling on words, finally, it came to him, he said, "The property". Once again, I told him it was on Sunday, today (yesterday) was only Thursday. I had to show him on my fingers how many more days until he goes to the property. That seemed to satisfy him, for the time being.

He forgot how to put a belt on again yesterday. Kristen helped him. She is so tender with him. Talks to him softly. Has patience with him. When she was done, she patted him on the back and said, "Good job, Daddy." He just smiled back at her.

So, husband has 2 outings planned this weekend. Seeing the "old gang" and going to Ramah. Good for him to get out. We don't do much anymore, as he tires easily, plus, his walking issues and fading memory are difficult to deal with. I keep him home, safer and easier that way.

I woke up sad today. Not a "feel sorry for me" kind of sad. Just , well, sad. Thought of the "old gang", what will they say when they see husband? What will they think? They know of his disease, but, except for 1 person, have not seen him, so, it will be a shock to them. They all knew him as this big, strong, life of the party person. Not anymore, folks. That's all gone. I asked Jane to let everyone know ahead of time what to expect.

Yes, it will be nice, this dinner. Nice for me to have intelligent conversations. I know it will all be centered on husband, the why's and how's, and how long? How long, you ask? Not long enough, I'll say.

No comments:

Post a Comment