Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, October 22, 2012

Time for Nurse

Husband wanted to go to Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday.  Now, after my experience with Wal Mart the day before, I could not imagine myself in any store.

Oh, the things one will do for love.

Of course, it was busy.  What was I thinking?  Husband wanted to get a Dry Box.  I had no clue what this was, but, pushed him through the throngs of people to ask for assistance in locating a Dry Box.

Luckily, the people there are very nice and helpful.  We came, we saw and we conquered!!

Once home, he said his shoulder and arm was bothering him.  I got him settled in bed and decided to have a nice quiet Sunday.  And it was.

There has been a noticeable change in husband.  His memory is just about gone in some aspects.  Of course he remembers who I am, who the kids are, and that we are going to San Antonio.  Everything else has been wiped out.  He asked several times over the course of yesterday, what day it was.  What was the date, was I cooking dinner, what was I cooking for dinner, did he have any clean clothes, (uh, duh) was I going to do laundry (ditto) and what day it was.  Over and over and over and over and over.

Since the fall last week, he has not been sleeping much during the day.  Which is good, however, it makes my days long.  When I ask him a question, he stares blankly at me for a minute, then will give me an answer. Most of the time, I have a hard time understanding him.  I am getting used to it, and have had to really concentrate on what he is saying.  When around other people, they look to me to translate on what he is saying.  He gets frustrated at times, trying to remember a word.  He stumbles on words and his speech is slurred.

When we see Dr A in December, I am going to ask for Home Health Care.  I know it's time.  At least that'll give me some free time to run errands, or, go to Starbucks, sit outside, and enjoy an espresso.  The nurse will also be able to advise me on anything I will need to address.

This turning point in this disease has been hard for me to see.  The falls, the massive confusion, the memory, the speech, the everything.  I find myself watching a commercial on TV and getting tears in my eyes.

Yes, I need the help.  Why does it have to hurt so much though?




No comments:

Post a Comment