Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wheelchair vs Scooter Chair

I think I've found one of the reasons why husband has to go to the bathroom so much at night.  He drinks a lot of water.  We both do.  So, I've eliminated any water past 8 PM.  Last night was OK, he did get up once, but, made it to the bathroom.  No accidents.  I was exhausted yesterday.  Needless to say, I slept like a rock last night.

We had a decent day yesterday.  Husband seemed quiet and somewhat depressed.  I thought of calling Dr A's office, to see if maybe I should take him in.  Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done, it's the process and progression of the disease.  But, when someone you love is sick, your first instinct is to take them to the Dr's.

We never did get a Scooter Chair.  Medicare and Humana would not approve it because we have a manual wheelchair and they said it would work fine.  I am not happy with Humana, but, the coverage is good.

A medical supply store here locally is coming this afternoon to install a new charger for the older scooter chair father in law gave to us months ago.  They gave me quite a discount with a free installation thrown in.  I cannot transport it, but, it will work just fine here in the house.  The walker will be put away.  It doesn't help anymore.  He will be put in the chair permanently now.

I have to call Humana this morning.  I need to find out if they will pay for a nurse to come to the home.  I hate calling them.  They have me listed as Power of Attorney, (papers from attorney 2 years ago) and still insist on speaking to husband,  even after I tell them he has Alzheimer's, but, they want him to give them permission to speak with me.  It's an ordeal.  By the time I finally get to speak with them, I'm frustrated, and have to really hold my tongue.

I have had my moments since night before last.  The happiness and excitement about going to Jack's graduation has been replaced with such sadness.

I caught Kristen crying in her room yesterday.  I was concerned and asked her what was wrong.  She just pointed to our bedroom.  Nothing more needed to be said.

Husband has gotten up.  He looks confused.  He is nodding off as he sits in his chair in the living room.  It's not a pretty sight.  He will jerk his head upright, look around the room, realize he is in the living room, then, nod off again.

Another day in the life.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment