Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Giving me the "funnies"

I have been wanting to come here and post, but, my mornings have been so busy, that, before I know it, it's noon and I haven't posted.  This morning, however, I have made the time.

Husband has not been well.  The hallucinations and confusion have taken up a good portion of my day.  Some of the hallucinations can be funny.  Even he laughs at them  Other's, not so funny.  Or, the hallucinations can be scary or just plain draining on me.  You just never know.  Take for instance, yesterday morning.

Husband insisted, after breakfast on putting on his shoes.  He doesn't know how to put on shoes anymore, I have to do it for him. 

He got his shoes out, studied them for about 20 minutes, lifted one leg and attempted to put them on.  I was trying to ignore him, hoping he would get frustrated and put them away.  Not so lucky.

After about 1 hour, he made the announcement that I needed to take him to the shoe store and buy him a new pair of shoes.  Now, the shoes he has are very new, I just bought them in April.  He doesn't wear shoes on a daily basis as he is mostly inside.  These shoes are in pristine condition. 

I explained that the shoes he has are in perfect shape.  He was having none of it.  He started to act up and told me his shoes were "broken".

This went on for hours.  He told me I was being mean to him and he was going to call his dad and tell on me.  I ignored it all.

I was doing my laundry and every time I had to go to the laundry room, he told me that when I got back, he was going to be gone.  Said he would go to the shoe store by himself and tell them to give him a new pair of shoes because his were "broken".  Each time I left, I would lock the front door behind me.  He doesn't know how to unlock the door anymore, so, that kept him safe.

Oh, the things I have learned to do!

I couldn't help but chuckle about this episode.  You had to be here.

He finally came out of it in the afternoon.  Whew.  He was fine after that.  Well, as fine as he can be that is.

I looked at him last night and got such a sad feeling inside.  He is so helpless now.  Looks up to me like a child would look up to his mother.

As I tucked him into bed last night, he was pulling the covers up to his chest and asked, "Am I doing this right?"  I assured him he was.  Kissed the top of his head, told him I loved him then said, "You behave and go to sleep."   He got a smile on his face and promised he would behave.

When I went into the living room and thought about the day, I had to laugh.  It really was funny.  I believe God gives me the "funnies" once in awhile to keep me from going completely nuts.

I am hoping the "broken" shoe issue will not come up today.  Have to keep him busy so he doesn't have to think about it.

I will take his "broken" shoes and hide them in the closet. 

Stay tuned..................................

No comments:

Post a Comment