Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, January 30, 2012

Job Qualifications

One of the many reasons I started this blog was to document this journey. I may want to visit this again in 5 years, see where I've been and where I'm going. I want to go everywhere with this blog. I want to share my life, there are many stories to tell. I want to let people see my sense of humor and quirky ways. I am always looking for something to laugh about. It helps me get through the day. Take for instance, yesterday.

While going through the Classified Adds in the newspaper online, I noticed the details on job descriptions that made me stop and think. On one job description, they wanted someone to answer multi-line phones, file and sort mail. Qualifications? Associate or Bachelor Degree in Administration and 5+ years experience. Pay rate? $9.21 per hour. I don't have a Degree in anything they would be interested in. It's called a Degree from the School of Hard Knocks. So what did I do? I applied.

Another one wanted someone who had a Bachelors Degree in Administration as well. It was a uniform company, driving a delivery truck and delivering uniforms to various companies throughout the city. Qualifications? As mentioned before, Bachelors Degree is Administration, experience in driving, (are you kidding me?) and delivery. At the end of this description, they stated, "Experienced Need Only to Apply". So.......I figured, I have experience in driving and I have delivered 7 children, yep, you guessed it, I applied. Pay rate? Depending on experience. With my driving experience and delivery experience, I should be at the top of the scale for that one.

I was in the section for Office Administration / Bookkeeper / Accounting. In this section there were two adds for New and Used Car Salespersons. Both adds said they were looking for energetic, outgoing, friendly persons who were looking to earn top dollars. I can be energetic when prompted, am outgoing and friendly and I am looking to earn top dollars, so, I applied. Hey, it was after all, in the Admin / Bookkeeping / Accounting column.

One of the places I went to last week stated in their add that "Professionals Need Only Apply". I put on my Sunday Best, dressed professional to the nines. When I walked in, they were all so friendly.... and guess what? They were all dressed in Jeans and T-shirts, nice T-shirts, mind you, but T-shirts. And there I stood in my Sunday Best standing out like I was the Professional Police. They did not call me for a 2nd interview.

So, I have decided what I want to do now that I'm all grown up and stuff. I think I shall go down to the newspaper office and advise them they need me. They need me to advise clients on how to place their adds, what to say, what not to say, ask how they dress in the office, be more specific in their job descriptions, like, delivery in babies or what? Also advise them that anyone who has a degree would probably not accept a position for $9.21 per hour, unless, like me, were desperate.

After applying for these jobs, to which I am not qualified, I closed my Laptop and started laughing. I said out loud, to, no one, "This is insane. This is crazy", all the while, still laughing. And then, IT happened.

I answered myself!!!! "Yes it is."

No comments:

Post a Comment