Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome to My New Year

Happy New Year to all.

I haven't posted in a few days. Been a little busy here.

Husband has continued a slow decline. Confusion has invaded him to the point he has trouble pronouncing words.

I made Salisbury Steak the other night. On Friday, he asked me if there were any leftovers. But, he could not pronounce the word Salisbury Steak. I could not figure out what he was saying. Finally, he said, "That stuff you made one time. It was good, what is the name of it again?"

I have noticed he can no longer lift his right leg. His braces fit into his shoes. Then, they go up to the knee. I had to help him with his shoes/braces yesterday morning. He was having trouble getting the right shoe/brace on. I told him to lift his leg so I could guide his foot into the shoe. He said, "I can't lift my leg anymore". I looked at his foot. The toes have curled inward. I tried to straighten them out, making it easier for him to put his shoe on. No use. His toes are stiff and curled.

He is having tremors all day long now. When he walks or sits. This only used to happen occasionally. It is now happening all day, every day.

Walking is really, really labored now. He looks like he will topple over at any given minute. The spastic movements are in his arms and shoulders now. This disease is crazy. Last week, there was no arm involvement. This week, it's there. Almost overnight the damage has invaded his upper arms.

Today is the beginning of a new year. It is also the beginning of the end for husband. I can see it. The life is gone from his eyes again. I saw it before Christmas, then, gone. He tries, really tries to be "normal". He wants so badly to be "normal" again. Only, his brain and body have failed him.

What will 2012 bring us? More than certain, it will bring us heartache and pain. It also will most certainly bring an end to a life. My husband's life. How will I cope? Same as always, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment