Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Friday, August 17, 2012

Milestones

It's official.  Jack is now 18.  We spent a quiet day yesterday.  Father in law came over to give him his card and $$'s.  That was so sweet of him.  Ever since we got the results of the Genetic Testing on husband,  he has been coming around so much more.  He really is such a sweet man.  When he looks at husband however, I can see his heart breaking and I feel so bad for him.

A good friend called me yesterday.  Her son left for the Army in June.  She had told me 2 weeks ago that he was having a hard time in Boot Camp.  Well, she was informed earlier this week that they were discharging her son and sending him home.  She still doesn't know why, they won't tell her.  Her son called her Wednesday and said he will be home today.  Nothing else.  She said that her and her husband were upset, worried and scared for him.  Her son is a lovely boy.  Raised beautifully.  He is their oldest, with three little sisters below him.

I reassured her that some just cannot make the military cut.  I advised her to tell her son that he is not a failure, he just was not cut out for military life.  Give him the support he needs.  Poor kid, I feel so badly for him.  At least he is coming back to a wonderful, loving family.

I told Jack about him, then asked him if he would give in while at Boot Camp.  He said no.  I know Jack will make the cut.  He has this burning desire to achieve a lot in life.

Alzheimer's disease continues to be the star of the show in our home.  Husband has not made any sudden declines, but, ever so slightly, is fading away.  It was quite noticeable yesterday.    Questions were asked of me throughout the day.  The same questions. Over and over. All the day long.  So, our little vacay has come to an end.

I knew it was coming.  By evening however, I was a little worn out.   It wasn't bad, mind you, but, the monster has made it's presence known.  Again.

My old boss called and asked me if I was excited to return there for a week.  I told her I was beyond excited.  She told me they were also excited to have me back, even if it's only for a week.  I jokingly asked her if I could wear my shorts, flip flops and tank tops to the office.  She is so funny.  There was a pause, then she said, "Uh, no.  You know the drill.  Dress up."  We had a good laugh over that.

She told me they trusted no one but me to fill in.  It's a lot of responsibility, mind you, but I so look forward to being there for a week.

No more late nights for me.  For a week, that is.

A milestone week.  I get to be in the corporate world for 5 days, my child turned 18 and, the ever present monster has once again decided to attack.

Two out of three "aint" so bad, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment