Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Saturday Night Special

Kristen offered to buy dinner last night.  I spent the day doing the heavy cleaning as I do every Saturday.  Laundry thrown in as well.

I am having a birthday dinner today for Kristen & Jack because their birthday's are close together.  I wanted the house to sparkle and shine.

We decided on Sonic.  I know, I know, fast food, but, it was close and well,  fast.  I left to go get dinner, Kristen stayed with husband.

Sonic is on a corner with a 4 way stop.  I pulled into the first stall and ordered our dinner.  I watched a woman walk up to the walk-up order.  She had 5 little kids with her.  She looked a little pooped out, pulling a wagon with the two smallest ones, and the three oldest walked with her.  She had two little boys, ages 2 and 3 in the wagon.  The older ones were girls, guessing their ages to be about 4, 6 & 7.  Once she ordered, all the kids sat down at one of the tables and were waiting for their food.

As they were right in front of me, I couldn't help but look at this cute little family.

 I saw a car driving very fast to the left of me.  Near the stop sign, going the opposite way of where I was sitting.  All of a sudden, a hand came out of the window, pointing at someone or some thing.  Then, I heard and saw gunshots.  Six of them.  It was like a slow motion movie.  I turned at this cute little family and saw the look of recognition on the mother's face.  She too knew it was gunshots.  I also saw the look of helplessness on her face, not knowing where these shots were being fired, in what direction.

As fast as it started, it ended.  The car peeled around the corner, and, as I watched this car, someone in my head told me to duck.  I didn't.  It sped down the street and vanished.

We were stunned.  I, (being one of the dumbest persons I know), got out of my car and looked down the street.  I could see 3 or 4 young teenagers standing in the middle of the street, waving down cars.  The mother of the kids got on her phone and called 911.

My food came, I told the girl what had happened, maybe they should not roller skate out to any cars until the police arrived.  Poor thing, her face turned white.

I didn't see anything, so, off I drove home.  As I was driving, I heard sirens, ambulance and fire rescue.  They flew by me.  No one was killed I read later.

When I got home, the first thing husband asked me was what took so long.

"Oh, just the usual Saturday evening crowd",  I responded.

Ah yes, my life.  Never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment