Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Smile!!

Memory issues have really made it's presence known the last few days.  Husband has been pleasant, wheels around the house with a smile on his face, but, if you look in his eyes, "the look" is almost constant.

Husband called his dad yesterday.  I was changing the sheets on the bed and listened in on his conversation. He kept repeating himself.  Over and over.  He kept telling his dad about Jack and how much he likes military life.  Then, he would ask his dad about the weather, what he thought of this frigid cold, then, go right back to Jack, saying how much he likes military life.  By the time I got done with the bed and he was done talking, my heart was sinking.

Jason went to Wyoming for Christmas.  He called us on Christmas and husband spoke to him.  They had a good conversation.  The other day husband asked me where Jason was and why didn't he come to our house on Christmas.  I reminded him (Lesson #1, don't ever try to remind someone with Alzheimer's, it doesn't do any good) that he had spoken to him over the phone.  He looked at me as if I had lost my mind, then, said, "I did?  I don't remember."

I took Marie to run some errands yesterday.  I brought husband along.  When Marie got in the car, she gave husband a hug and we started on our way.  Husband turned to Marie sitting in the back seat and said, "So, how was your Christmas?  Did you guys have a good one?"  I glanced at her from my rear view mirror and saw the look on her face.  She looked as if she thought it was a joke, but, saw me looking at her.  Her little face fell, just for a moment.  She recovered and said, "Yes, daddy, we had a good Christmas.  I love you."  He said he loved her too, looked out the window with that smile on his face.

My poor Marie.  I think it's hit her just what is going on.  She was quiet the rest of the time.  She didn't say, "What?  We were at your house on Christmas, don't you remember?"  The kids all know now what not to say.  Now, if only I could learn that.

It's useless to say, "Don't you remember?,"  because they don't remember.

This has been hard adjusting to.  God has been good however, this perfect plan He has for us.  I am so busy getting organized for our move that, I don't have much time to dwell on the fact that I am loosing touch with husband.  He's really fading now.  But, only God knows what to do, so, He keeps me busy.  And I thank Him.

Husband has been smiling a lot lately.  Smiling, but, completely lost in his own world.  Could it be that the Angels are surrounding him and he feels the love of God?

I'd like to think so.


1 comment:

  1. Maybe he is smiling because in his own world he is happy. Now that he doesn't remember as much he has less to worry about. Hope the smile continues.

    ReplyDelete