Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A $70 Flashlight

Yesterday was calmer than the day before.  With "the man" gone, husband seemed much more relaxed.  However, when he went to the bathroom, he saw his reflection in the mirror and called for me to come in the bathroom.

When I went in, he had this haunting look on his face.  He asked me to look in the mirror and tell me what I saw.  I asked him what he saw.  He said he thought it was "the man".  My first thought was, "Oh no, no more." 

I gathered myself together and talked softly to him, telling him it was only his reflection.  I use the word "softly" to him because I have found that by talking this way, it has a soothing effect on him.  Anyway, he calmed down and took care of business.

The rest of his day was spent taking things out of the closet, looking at them, and putting it all back.  He would sit on the side of the bed, looking in the closet (remember the doors are gone) and start over.  Then he would take everything out of his nightstand, look it all over carefully, then, put it all back.  He would sit on the side of the bed, looking at the nightstand, as if admiring his job.

He would take a sip of water and go back in the closet.  He would take the same things out, look at objects and put it all back together again.

All. Day. Long.

I got him to take a break in the afternoon.  I made him lie down and try to rest.  That lasted for maybe an hour.  Next, he came in the living room and started "studying everything in the living room"  (his words).  He wanted to go through the drawers on our big TV stand.  He wanted to talk about everything that was in the drawers. 

Keeping my cool, I suggested he go watch some TV in the bedroom.  He went back to the bedroom where he started in the closet again.  This went on until around 9 PM. 

Hours and hours of doing the same thing over and over.  For me, it was maddening and exhausting all at the same time.

As I was getting him into bed he asked, "Will you help me find my little flashlight tomorrow?  It's the one I paid $70 for.  You remember, that little one?"  First of all, he never paid
$70 for any flashlight, but, of course, I said I would help him find it.

Today is bath day.  He is so relaxed in the tub.  If only I could keep him in the tub all day.

I think I know what my day will be like.  Helping him find a $70 flashlight.  One that doesn't exist. 

Oh well, at least I won't have to deal with "the man".

Yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment