Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, April 22, 2013

Welcome Back!!

While I was down with a badly sprained foot, Friday & Saturday, I forgot all about Alzheimer's.  I was in a lot of pain.  I was scared my foot was broken in places.  I just wanted it to get better.

The foot today, is better.  Still hurts to walk, but, nothing like Friday &n Saturday.  I'm on the road to recovery.

Yesterday morning I was so relieved that the foot was better.  Then, husband woke up.  And, it hit me.  "Oh yes, there he is, lost and confused," I thought.  I had been so involved in me, that, somehow, I didn't think about husband. 

Of course he was taken care of.  But, with my situation, well, I just didn't think about Alzheimer's.

Made me sad.  He came to me last night and said he was happy my foot was getting better.  Then he said, "I hope it's better for tomorrow".  I turned to him and asked him what was so special about tomorrow?  He looked at me with sad eyes and said, "Tomorrow is my birthday and with your foot, I guess we won't be doing anything, right?"

Suddenly, sadness swept over me.  It's not his birthday today.  It's next month.

I looked at him and said, "Honey, tomorrow is not your birthday.  Your birthday is next month."  His face fell and he looked so lost.  He took his walker and went to bed.  I sat out in the living room and wanted to cry.

So, welcome back to reality.  Welcome back Alzheimer's.   

1 comment:

  1. Did he get the day right? Is his birthday on the 23rd of MAY?

    If nothing else, I hope it warms your heart to know that he remembers that he enjoyed his birthday and is/was looking forward to it. You must have made his birthday special for him!

    Glad your foot is healing. Thanks to God for answered prayers!

    Sincerely,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete