Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Friday, August 2, 2013

Miscellaneous

Why, lucky you. Just imagine, 2 posts in 2 days.  Wow.  Go me.

Update on husband:  He seems OK, quite excited for Colorado, still in his own world most of the time.  He drools, stares at nothing, loves to sit outside and that's about it. 

I got home from the store the other day and, as I walked in, husband said, "I don't know my Social Security number anymore."  He looked so sad, so, to cheer him up, I said, "Well,  I do!!!!"  He smiled at that.

He has been sleeping through the night, which is good.  I am sleeping good too.  Still wake up early, but, I like that early morning freshness. 

His appetite is not what it used to be.  I have had to cut down on his portions.  Most of the time, he will leave food still on his plate, even when I just give him a little food.  Just making sure he gets a well balanced meal.

As far as memory goes, well, it's to be expected.  He really doesn't retain anything.  He will look at me when I am talking, but, his eyes become so round and large listening to me, that I hate looking at him.  In the next moment, he will not even know I had spoken to him.

He thinks I don't know how to pack, organize or load a truck.  This drives me nuts.  I constantly tell him I know how to do this, but, he doesn't understand.  I'll be doing something and he will tell me how worried he is that I don't know what I'm doing.  Gritting my teeth, I'll tell him that this isn't my first move, I know what I'm doing.  Doesn't do any good though, he doesn't understand what I'm telling him.

My next door neighbor lost his mother to Alzheimer's the other day.  He is beside himself in grief.  I bought him some beautiful flowers and a card yesterday.  As I set the flowers down on his table, I noticed he had his mom's picture out.  This woman, once so full of life, so beautiful in her younger days, stared back at me.  I stared into her eyes.  Haunting.  I arranged the flowers next to his mother, gave him a big hug and left. 

This morning, as I went outside, there on my outdoor table was an envelope.  It was a thank you card from my neighbor.

We have a bond, this neighbor/friend of mine. 

Nothing has to be said.  We know it will strike my house next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment