Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Friday, June 10, 2011

Neurologist Update

Our visit with Dr Q went very well yesterday. Actually, it was so relaxing to just sit and talk with him. He has taken a special interest in Leon, and has a soft spot for my husband. His eyes show compassion.

I've mentioned before that Dr Q is leaving UNM and going to Southwest Medical Associates. Because we go to UNM for low cost medical treatment, we will no longer be able to see him. When we went to UNM for his initial visit back in January 2010, he first saw another Dr. That Dr, within the first 10 minutes of examining Leon, knew it was something beyond his expertise, he said it looked like it was a brain malfunction, that he was going to get another Dr specializing in brain disorders to examine Leon. That was when we met Dr Q.

This Dr had other patients waiting, but, spent at least an hour with us. That's when he got the ball rolling with all the tests Leon went through.

So, yesterday, as he was saying that he wanted Leon to get the best care, I mentioned that I had applied for Medicaid, was waiting to hear if we had been approved. His eyes lit up, then he said that if approved, we could follow him to his new practice. I am praying that we get approved so Leon can continue his care with Dr Q.

He gave us all his new information and also, all the clinical notes from Leon's first visit there at the Neurological Clinic. When we got home, I was reading through the notes. It took me back to the very first day, and as I read, I felt the same way as I did back then. The fear I was feeling, knowing in the pit of my stomach that he indeed had Dementia, not knowing if anyone would listen to me, ugh, it was awful.

Then, I came across The Day of Diagnosis. In short, it said, "With the changes of personality, increasing disorganization, the spastic paraperesis and the strong family history of dementing illness present in the mid-forties in this family, it is with regret that I had to inform the patient and his wife of this devasting diagnosis." Also noted was this, "I advised that the best plan was to maximize time with the family, put the family affairs in order. The patient did not want to know how much time he had left, and I assured him that this time was not certain, but that he should maximize his time with his family."

Huh. It all came back to me. That Day of Diagnosis. When reading this, I remember everything about that day. The sounds, the weather, the smell of the hospital, laughing in the hallway and the Code Blue page to the ER. And I re-lived every moment of that day.

So, onto our next adventure in the Land of Dementia. We are certainly praying that Medicaid will be approved and I will be approved as his Caregiver. I ask that you do the same, so Dr Q can follow us to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment