Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Air Force here we come!!

Jack took the ASFAV test yesterday. His score was 81%. They all were blown away by how high it was. Most people get 50-70%. He breezed right through it, he said. Said it was so easy. For him, maybe.

He wasn't able to go to the hotel however. Seems the recruiter forgot to register him at the hotel. So, he came home. As he walked in the door, my first thought was, "uh oh". He explained what had happened, said we had to go to the recruiter's today to sign papers for him to enter the Air Force. As he was talking, all I could think about was, "did he pass?" Then he showed me an envelope. It was sealed, with his grade in it. Said he wanted to wait until he got home to share it with me. As he was opening it, I noticed his hands shaking, just a little. Then, he says, "Oh, cool, I scored 81%". I was overjoyed. When he called his recruiter to inform him of the score, his recruiter said he had never seen a score that high.

Later, he went on the Air Force site. You can choose what you want to go into by how high your score is. With his high score, he can get into anything, except one thing. I don't remember the name of it, it was hard enough to even pronounce. Now, he says, he's leaning more toward Bio Medical something. Whatever he does, he will be great.

As we were talking about going down there today, he said, "Mom, dad can't sign his name anymore. Will you sign for him?" Of course I will.

This is going to hurt husband though. He can't do anything a "normal" father can do. Not even sign for his son to go into the Air Force. And that makes me mad and sad.

This is one of those times where it's bittersweet. My son has become a man, he will be leaving to begin his life in 8 months, it will most likely be the last time he sees his father. Husband looked so proud last night, but, once we get down there, and they ask him to sign, he will look at me like a helpless child as if to say, "help". Some will look at him with pity. Don't pity him, I think, he can't help it.

This is going to be one of those days where I will say in all honesty, "Why? It's not fair".


No comments:

Post a Comment