Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, August 8, 2011

Support Group

I attended my first meeting yesterday with this Support Group I joined. It was nice to get away and talk with other people who are experiencing the same as I am.

Some of the members have already lost their loved one, some are able to function somewhat, some are in Nursing Homes, some are being cared for by Caregivers and some, like me, care for their spouse themselves. As I sat there, I was thinking to the future and what it will be like with husband.

One of the members brought her son and daughter in law. The son said that he took his dad out to lunch last week, and as they sat down, his dad, who has some type of Dementia, said to his son, "So, tell me about your dad". How heartbreaking is that? The tears flowed at this meeting, but the love and compassion I felt there was overflowing. And the humor. How nice it was to wipe your tears, then laugh at the next person. You could really feel the love there.

Husband and I witnessed his Mother suffer from this horrific disease. It is not pretty. They literally loose their minds. Husband knows he gets to go through the same thing, which, in my opinion, makes it all that much harder.

Before I went to this meeting, I started reading the Bible to husband. He asked questions, at times there was that look in his eyes, hard to explain. Blank, but strange. At the meeting yesterday, this woman was showing a picture of her husband. Arlene leaned over to me and said, "See the eyes? Recognize it?" I looked at the picture and there it was. That same look. Unless you live it, you can't understand "that look". It's the mark of this horrid, horrid disease.

This morning, I will read more passages from the Bible to husband. He likes it, seems to relax, seems comforted by the Words.

Husband fell again. It's happening more and more now. This monster has taken over his body and destroys like no other.

On to a new week. A new week of discoveries for me, a new week of destruction for husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment