Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, August 15, 2011

Paranoia, Church and Business Cards

This disease has many stages. Most of them (who am I kidding? All of them), make me crazy. One however, can drive one up the wall and out the door. Paranoia.

Husband now thinks people are going to break into our home. Everything must be locked up, everything. He even puts a piece of a wooden rod on our bedroom window, to keep the "bad guys" out.

Now, we have a BIG dog, who stays outside when we go someplace. One look at that dog and no one would dare enter the yard. Husband will not be convinced. I have given up and just go along with it. But yet, it makes me crazy.

Another one is if something is making a noise, he thinks it's broken. Last night, the filter on our fish tank was making a slight noise. All it means is the water level is low, add some water. Husband wanted me to show him how to break down the filtering system in the morning so he could get to the bottom of the noise. I agreed, (it's just easier that way), added water this morning and it's fine. When he wakes up, there will be no noise, but he won't remember it making noise last night anyway.

We went to church yesterday instead of Saturday night. Great service, wonderful place. The sanctuary is huge, and I always find seats for us near the back, easier for husband to get out of at the end of service. I have him sit at the end, as he cannot walk in between rows easily. It was SRO and as we were singing, a lady came up to husband asking if the seats further down from us were saved. I happened to glance and saw her trying to get him to understand what she was saying. He had blanked out, "the look" was back and I just took over, moved down some, moved husband down some and everyone was happy.

During the service, I shed some tears. Husband just cannot communicate anymore. It's not that he cannot hear you. His brain doesn't recognize words anymore. I can communicate with him, but other people cannot. It's hard when people look at him like "what's wrong with you?" Not that that lady did, she was very nice. It's other times and that's what made me shed some tears yesterday.

At my Support Group, they gave me a great idea. Make up some business cards that say, "Thank you for understanding. Our loved one has Dementia". After yesterday, it's seems the right time to do it.

Marching into another week. What, oh what is in store for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment