Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mothers & Funerals

Yesterday was a lovely day. Husband at his Dad's, all day long. Got my laundry done, relaxed and watched some of this trial that's being played now. Interesting. I watch a lot of TruTV, it's all about the legal system, and they show trials, past & present. Anyone hear of Casey Anthony? I was glued to that TV for over 8 weeks. Riveting trial. Keeps me updated. Want to know what's going on in the outside world.

My new world consists of watching husband for signs of seizures, choking, giving medicines 4 times per day, making sure he eats proper, make sure he does not hurt himself, make sure when he falls, he is ok, make sure that he has enough fluids, make sure he doesn't fall while in the shower, make sure he is not having any side affects to the high power meds he is on, make sure I make his Dr apppointments, make sure he is comfortable.

I also, clean house, do laundry, cook, grocery shop, pay bills, budget and hold the household together. Oh, yes, there is also a young man to care for too. Jack is and has been wonderful through all of this. I can see the anger he feels, but, we talk about it, I make sure he understands what his dad is going through. But, I can see the longing in his eyes to get out of here. I know he can't wait until he leaves for Basic Training. He doesn't have to say it. I know my child. I am sure he is counting the days until he leaves, 10 months from now.

The other day, Kristen and I were talking and husband comes shuffling in the living room. Sits down and says to Kristen, "So, where are you working at now?" "Uh, same place I've been working all along", she says. I told her to get used to this, as it happens alot lately. I am used to it because I am with him daily. It still catches me by surprise, but I recover quickly. I have to, otherwise, if you show surprise, it scares him. Once he's scared, it seems his brain short circuits, and off we go to another place.

I am debating going to a funeral this Friday. It's the mother of one of my Support Group members. She was 70 yrs old, she had Dementia. She suffered alot. At the last meeting, she was telling us of her mother's condition. It was awful. Her mother no longer knew anyone, not even her daughter. Imagine that. My mother-in-law knew no one at the end, only my father-in-law. Not even her only child, my husband.

My mother-in-law stopped talking a few months before she died. When we found out our Jack was on the way, he wanted to tell her. Once he walked in her bedroom, she appeared to be asleep. He sat down, she opened her eyes and he told her she was going to be a grandmother. She smiled and whispered, "I know". She died 5 weeks later.

I think I need to go to this funeral. Show my support and all. Husband will have to be told where I am going. I don't like to upset him. May have to make something up. Kristen will come and sit with him.

This Support Group is wonderful. When husband's time comes, I will want them there. So, here we go, the first of many funerals.





No comments:

Post a Comment