Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, July 1, 2012

A new Weatherman

Not much going on.  Life continues in our household.  Days seem to blend into another.  Days are going by fast for me.

Dr A's office called and wanted to re-schedule husband's appointment from the 25th to the 16th of this month.  Sooner the better for me.  Husband said he didn't want to go.  I ignored him and he settled down.  Sometimes ignoring works, sometimes, not.

Husband continues to be mostly confused.  There are fleeting moments of reality, then, his mind shuts down and off we go into the Land of Alzheimer's.  Keeps me on my toes.  I never know what to expect.  I never know where we are at in this journey.

I recently posted about this peaceful feeling I have.  I still have it, but, there is a restless side to it as well.

Husband does one thing that is both funny and endearing.  He will watch the news, doesn't understand it, but, watches it all the same.  He will tell me what the weather will be like for the next few days.  It takes him awhile to tell me the whole story.  It's like he's reciting poetry.  You can see when he speaks, that his tired brain is struggling.  His eyes get so big and round.  I mentioned before, I do not like looking at his eyes.

So, because he loves to "report" to me, I have given him the job of reporting the weather to me.  I asked him to watch the news each evening, then come and tell me what the weather will be like.  He seems to enjoy that.  It's kind of like an assignment for him.

Funny.  There is no right way or wrong way in dealing with an Alzheimer's patient.  You just do what works best for your situation.  Now that I've found a way for husband to feel "important", well, it makes him happy, so who cares if he stumbles over his words, or, forgets what the weatherman said?

I call him the Weatherman now and he loves it.

I had to go to Wal Mart yesterday afternoon.  I asked husband if he wanted to go along.  He smiled and got very excited.  I was dreading the crowds, this awful heat and husband using his walker, walking ever so slow.

Before we left, he said that he thought it would be best if he used the wheelchair.  That way, he said, he could keep up with me.

HALLELUJAH!!! 

Why, I almost heard the Angels from above singing.  Yes!

We actually had a decent time, he did keep up and was so happy about that.

As I was driving home, husband said, "You know, I may have to start using the wheelchair more.  It sure makes it easier.  I don't have to worry about falling anymore, will I?"

Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment