Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

On Strike!!

Last week, I went on strike. I did not cook for a week.

I served this delicious dinner last Monday night. Husband & Jack refused to eat it. They had never tasted it, but said they did not like it.

That really hurt me. I told Jack he ought to be glad he has a mom that cooks for him. That wants him to have good meals. That takes the time to prepare delicious food, even on my budget. Nope, he wasn't going for it.

Husband, on the other hand, agreed fully with Jack. So, I told them I was done cooking. Said they could fend for themselves. They seemed excited about the prospect of eating whatever.

One night, they had muffins for dinner. Another night, I think it was toast. They would glance at my dinner, looking hungry, but, knew better than to ask for any of my food. Teach them, I thought.

What a wonderful week I had. I praised myself for being such a good cook. Patted myself on the back. Smacked my lips as I ate. I stuck to my guns.

On Sunday, Jack asked me if I was going to cook. Told him I was making MY dinner, but, if there was enough leftover, he was welcome it.

To make a long story short, I made enough for them. As they were eating, Jack praised me and my cooking. Said I had cooked the meat perfectly. Said it was the best he had ever tasted. All husband could do was eat and nod his head. After dinner, they both thanked me for the dinner. I took it all in stride, the whole time smiling to myself.

I cooked again last night. I got praises all around. A very simple meal, a poor man's meal. One would've thought Wolfgang Puck made it.

Proud of myself for sticking to my guns. The crazy part is, after hurting my feelings, I could've cared less what they were eating. The night Jack had a muffin, he walked by me as I was eating my dinner. To rub salt in the wound, I told him how delicious that muffin smelled. If he could've gotten away with it, I'm sure he would've told me to go to hell.

So, I'm back in the kitchen, but, they know now if they complain, Mama's gonna go back on strike. Wouldn't bother me in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment