Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving. A time to rejoice in our blessings. A time to reflect. A time to bring families together. A time to thank God for all He has done for us. A time to eat the good food.

This Thanksgiving I have decided to be thankful.

In my house, the air is thick with this horrific disease. It invades every corner of this house. It invades every corner of our minds. It's there constantly, like a hand in front of your face that turns with every turn of your head. It's horrific, scary, sad and depressing.

But, I will not let that monster ruin our Thanksgiving. Today, I will make the pies that the husband and kids rave over. Today, I will prepare the sweet potatoes. The bread for the stuffing has been drying since Sunday. I will look forward to tomorrow, when everyone sits down to eat, they will shower me with their compliments on the delicious food.

And, I will be thankful. Thankful for the husband I have, or had. He loved me as I was, he never tried to change me. He accepted me as I was. His love for me never stopped, even in our roughest patches, he was there. He was one of the hardest working man I had ever met. He was not perfect, by any means, but, he loved me. And, he was my husband.

I am thankful for each and everyone of my children. From the first, Justin, to the last, Jack. Those children opened my eyes to the most deepest love a woman could ever experience. A mother's love for her babies. And, I love them with every breath I take.

I am a lucky woman. To have had a man who loved me no matter what, and, to have 7 beautiful, wonderful, funny, smart, devoted children, well, my cup runneth over.

I will not be bitter. I can't let myself go there, not tomorrow. I will smile, laugh, tell funny stories.

I wish each and everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving. May your day be filled with love, laughter and blessings.

Ours will be because I will make it be.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog from Kelly's link up. My heart is with you during this very difficult time. While I have not dealt with dementia in the realms that you have, it has affected many in our family over the years (genetics..sometimes you just got to hate them). I am praying that you will feel the Lord's presence and peace over your life and the time you have with your husband.

    ReplyDelete