Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Magic

Christmas Eve.

When I was a little girl, Christmas Eve was more magical then Christmas. It was the anticipation of it all. The smells coming from the kitchen. The tree, the lights. My dad, always the "funny guy", trying to convince me I hadn't been that good all year.

My mother always made Minced Meat and Pumpkin pies. Every single year. I do not care for pumpkin anything, and detest minced meat. I can remember begging her to make an apple pie, every year. She would always tell me no, my father liked these kind of pies, everyone did, then she would proceed to tell me that there was something wrong with me. She would say, "Everyone loves pumpkin pie, why don't you?"

When I was about 14, my older sister married. Her new husband loved apple pie. She made apple pie for him at Christmas. Huh, funny how those memories seem to seep into my mind. My mom made the best apple pies. I make mine like hers. My family will not settle for any store bought pie, no sir, it's gotta be my homemade apple pies.

Every time I make an apple pie, I think of my mother.

Going to bed on Christmas Eve was so hard for me. Then, when I woke up on Christmas morning, I had to wait for my dad to get his first cup of coffee. He would tell me he was tired, Santa had woken him up. He always acted grumpy, complaining about Santa. He told me one time that he made coffee for Santa and, together, the two of them sat in the kitchen having coffee. I was entranced by that.

All too soon, the magic was over. The presents were unwrapped, it was time to clean up the mess. But, wait, there was the magic of my mothers' Christmas dinner. Except for those pies.

I wanted my children to feel the magic I felt as a child on Christmas Eve. I believe I did. I remember one year when they were little. As I put them to bed, fresh clean pajamas, all warm from their bath, shiny clean hair, I tucked Tish into bed, she said, "Oh mommy, how can I sleep?"

My children know the real meaning of Christmas though. They know the story of Christ, our King being born. Today, as most of them are grown now, will tell their children that it's not the amount of gifts you get, it's Our Savior's Birth. They get it, they know it, they believe it.

Today, I will think back to my childhood and the magic I felt. I will bake pies. I will prepare the sweet potatoes. We will go to church for Christmas Eve Services. I will thank my Lord and Savior for giving me back me this week. For giving us laughter this week. This week has been unforgettable. Filled with blessings.

Filled with the magic of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment