Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dementia is on Vacay!!

Another very cold morning here in the Land of Enchantment. We are supposed to get blasted with another storm late today. If that happens, schools will more than likely be closed tomorrow. I can hear Jack praying as we speak!!

I talked to one of our Pastors from church yesterday. He shared with me that his dad had Frontal Lobe Dementia as well. Said that his mom went through some awful times like me. Said she's fine now, but, shared that she changed during her husbands' illness. So, in a nutshell, I'm normal when I say I'm changing. This disease has a way of challenging even the strongest of the strong. I walked away a little lighter. He is putting me in touch with a counselor. It will be one on one. No group sharing. I think I'll like that. Someone to talk to. I learned one thing yesterday: I'm normal!!! Everyone hear that? I'm normal. Whew.

Father in law is having some health issues. Seems his kidneys are failing, he may have to go on Dialysis. Husband was upset about that. Depressed. Quieter than usual. I told husband there is nothing we can do, but be there for him. Father in law remarried several years ago, so at least he has her. She's a nice enough person, a little self centered in my opinion, but, we get along great and I know that she will take good care of him.

The kids are going to put the christmas tree up today. I am going to force this holiday spirit out of me. Force it until I'm oozing with cheer. Figure if I do that, before I know it, the holidays will be over and I can get on with my life. Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.

On the Dementia side of things, no news is good news. Or is it? Husband continues to be stable. Mumbles alot lately, but other than that, seems like Dementia has taken a little vacay. Thanks, you monster. It'll be back, stronger than ever, mark my word. But, I'll take what I have for now, because when it hits again, it's always worse than the time before. More damage, more paranoia, more hallucinations, more falling, more confusion, oh, the list goes on.

I started cooking beef and barley soup yesterday. It smells wonderful in my house. I love to cook soup on a cold winter day. Good for the soul. Am making my homemade pineapple upside down cake as well. Tyler & Susie said they would be by. I promised Susie the cake. Hopefully, Pat & Christine will be by too. Love to cook for these daughter in laws of mine. They rave about my cooking. I love to see them eat my food. They go all gaga on me. Funny, sweet girls.

Here's to a good day. To all of you. When husband wakes up, I hope to see that Dementia is still out on vacay so we can all breathe easier as the smell of mom's cooking fills the house and the kids decorate the tree. One day, that's all I ask for, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment