Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Monday, December 5, 2011

When ya coming back?

I think Jacks' prayers were answered. Or at least partially answered. We got another storm last night, alot of snow. So, at 5:30 AM, my cell phone is ringing and I, thinking it's the alarm, shut it off. Snuggled back down for a moment, then realized it was an incoming call. Checked my phone, missed call. Rang again, it was an automated message from the school saying all Albuquerque Public Schools are on a 2 hour delay. Usually when that happens, they eventually close the schools. We'll see. It's very cold with blowing snow. It's 21 degrees outside right now. Burr.

I had a pleasant weekend. Yes, you heard right. A pleasant weekend. Me. Surprise, surprise. I loved it! It felt so normal. It felt so right.

Pat called yesterday morning and invited us over for coffee and to see their new furniture. It's really beautiful. While we were there, he wanted us to have their Christmas tree. It's huge and they haven't used it for 3 years. They are usually not home for Christmas. They go up north to Christines' family. This year, they are going to be here, so thought we would want to use it.

It is so pretty. Pat helped set it up as they came for dinner. I am not in the Christmas spirit, but, with my rather pleasant weekend coupled with this beautiful tree, well, I'm OK.

I will savor this weekend. Think back to this weekend when the going gets rough again.

Husband was fine ALL weekend. The attempt at walking is very bad now, but, his mind was OK. Not clear and sharp, no, but, he seemed relaxed and stable.

This is the time however when you have to stop and pinch yourself. Is this for real, you ask yourself? Then, in an instant, it's all gone, replaced with a man who walks around in circles, mumbling, confused, angry, searching for things that do not exist and your heart breaks. Oh, yes, I always think, here it comes. Brace yourself.

For now though, hopefully through today, my house will be relatively normal. Oh, I hope so. I don't want the monster to come back, not yet, wait a minute, please. I want to savor this, remember this as never before. Relish in what was. Give husband some rest. Give us a break. Let us enjoy just a few days til Dementia decides to come back, destroying my husbands mind and body. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment