Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Gift

I witnessed something yesterday one would only see in the movies. This movie would be gut wrenching, take your Kleenex to the Movies night, kind of movie. It would also consist of a pure love for one's child, a final gesture, and a love from a child to his Dad.

It was quiet in my house yesterday afternoon. I was resting on the couch and heard some rustling coming from my bedroom. I heard talking, low and soft. It went on for some time.

Finally, after about 30 minutes, I got up and started down the hallway. As I got nearer to the bedroom, I realized Jack & husband were in the room. I glanced in the bedroom. Something told me not to interrupt.

Husband was sitting on the floor, next to his bedside table. Jack was sitting on the bed, looking down at his dad. Husband was handing something to Jack. And then I saw it. It was a watch husband has had for 25 years. The battery was dead, husband has not worn this watch in over 20 years. His father had given it to him.

He was telling Jack he wanted him to have the watch now. He told him, "Remember me when you wear this". Jack sat nodding his head, not even trying to be sarcastic. He looked serious. He didn't look like he was going to cry, just looked really, really serious. He was listening to his dad. Husband told him he would not be here next Christmas, so he wanted to give it to him now. Jack again, nodded his head.

I had to leave. I came out to the living room, trying to catch my breath. They didn't know I had witnessed this Father & Son exchange. It was between them. A final gesture from husband to his child.

I went to start dinner. Jack came out to the kitchen. He looked so serious, and said, "Mom, dad gave me his watch. Look. It doesn't work, but he said he wants me to have it. Mom, he said he won't be here next year. I like it, it's nice, huh mom?"

Soon after, Jack took the watch off. Later, Pat & Christine stopped by. They invited Jack to spend the night. As he was leaving, I noticed something on his wrist.

He was wearing The Watch.

1 comment:

  1. I was so happy for you yesterday when I read you saw the sparkle in your husband's eyes. Definitely a prayer answered.

    And then today, reading about the watch! Wow, just wow. So thankful you are receiving these gifts. So thankful it helps you.

    May God's Blessings continue to pour down on you.

    ReplyDelete