Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Little things

Husband got his ramp built for the front door yesterday.  Freedom for him.  Our friends from church came and built it on the spot.   It's really nice.  Can't wait for us to go on walks now.  A ramp means husband can go outside when he wants,  "stroll"  around the neighborhood, get the mail, water the lawn and get some fresh air.

I have learned these past 2 years to appreciate even the simple things.  When someone you love is diagnosed with a terminal illness, your whole life changes.  What used to seem so important doesn't really matter anymore.    What matters now is your "new" life and the changes it brings.  The changes in my life have been drastic.  I no longer am the same person I was.  I feel different.  I feel stronger.  I feel vulnerable.  I feel a different kind of sad.  I do feel happy, only a different kind of happy.  I do still fear the unknown, but, God somehow puts those fears to rest for me.

When husband has a good day, I have a good day.  When husband has a bad day, my heart breaks for us.  When husband can laugh with me, my heart is full.  When husband sleeps all day long, I worry.  When husband doesn't know what day it is, there is a heaviness within me.  When husband is wheeled out of church and remembers what the message was about, my soul soars.

So, you see, it's the little things in life that are important to me now.  You do adjust.  You have to.  You have to go on.  The world didn't stop on that fateful day in April of 2010, it simply changed when the Dr spoke those few simple words beginning with, "I'm so sorry."

Yes, how different everything is now.   There is now a ramp at our front door.  That simple, little ramp.  How a few pieces of wood can make such a big difference in one's life.

Yes, folks, it is the little things.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear a little happiness in your voice. It has to be so hard......I can't even imagine how hard it is to stay positive. Happy walks.

    ReplyDelete