Husband's last camping trip

Husband's last camping trip

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sighs of relief

I was just reading our local news here online.  Just as I got ready to click over to to here, I caught a small caption.  It said:

"9 Ways to tell if you are depressed."

You need to give me 9 reasons?  Why, I'll give you 1.  That'll do ya.

Husband's birthday was as I expected.  I practically tiptoed around all day.  He was not in a good place.  Because we are having his birthday BBQ on Saturday, I let him make the choice of having his birthday cake now or Saturday.  He said it didn't matter.  I'll make the cake Saturday.

When I got up this morning, I breathed a sigh of relief.  Birthday, over.  Made it through.

Husband did not say much during the day.  Of course, the kids called, with Tyler calling twice.  Every time I would bring him the phone, I would have to tell him how to use it.  (He doesn't know how to use the phone anymore.  Forgot).  He would want to push the "Talk" button.  I had to tell him each time, just speak.  I heard him chuckling at times.

I even got the dogs involved.  Every time I sang "Happy Birthday", the dogs would get a little hysterical.  The little one would spin in circles and the big one would start panting.  I know they were just being in a celebratory mood, had nothing to do with my singing abilities.  No sir!!

Husband talked about his mom during the day.  I listened while he talked about her.  He said he wished she was still alive.  I agreed with him.  Told me how strong and independent she was.  Talked about his childhood, his grandmother.  How strong she was.  I do remember her.

When her husband passed from this horrific disease, he left her with 12 (yes, you heard me right, TWELVE) children.  Her youngest was 10 yrs old.  Husband's mother.

All in all, it wasn't a great day, but, it wasn't a bad day.  There were sad parts, but to hear husband chuckle while on the phone was nice.

We came to the dreaded day.  We got through it.  I can't stop time.  I can only make it through one day at a time.  I don't know what today will bring.  I only know what yesterday was.

On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being the best, I'd say yesterday was a 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment